Academic Support Services

Academic Advising

We understand that selecting a major is a big decision. That's why offer supportive and collaborative help for our students to acquire essential knowledge, skills, and habits as they pursue their academic and career goals.

We're here to help you explore interests, values, and personality types and to discover majors and occupations that you will find interesting and rewarding.

Our staff coordinates advising for General Studies majors and students who have not declared a major.
We also identify and assist students who are experiencing academic challenges.
Check out the FAQ to learn more, or use the contact info below to schedule an appointment. 


Registration is completed online through Pipeline. We encourage you to meet with your assigned advisor prior to registering for any class, and to follow your degree plan when scheduling classes. 

To make building a class schedule easier, we provide a schedule planner tool available on Pipeline, along with a tutorial for this registration tool.

Meet Our Staff

John Mark WarnickJohn Mark Warnick, B.A.
Director, Academic Advising
Diane SmithDiane Smith
Administrative Assistant


Liberal Arts Requirements Checklist.pdf

HU Majors List.pdf

Degree Evaluation Form.pdf - This form is to be completed for 60-75 hour Degree Evaluation Requirement

Academic Probation - Suspension Self-Assessment Form.pdf - This assessment is required for students on Academic Suspension or Probation.  However, this assessment is useful for any student who is struggling academically.

New Advisor Verfication Form.pdf

Financial Aid Suspension Appeal Packet.pdf

If you have difficulty in downloading the PDF's above visit Adobe Support for help with downloading or contact to have the forms sent to you.

Info for Faculty Advisors

1. Financial Aid Requirements

  •  Academic Scholarships - All academic scholarships are for eight semesters of undergraduate tuition and are prorated if not enrolled full time. To retain the scholarship a student must maintain at least a 3.0 cumulative grade point average by the end of the Spring semester for freshmen and then at the end of every semester beginning the sophomore year.


  • Arkansas Challenge Scholarship - Students who have the Arkansas Challenge Scholarship must take a minimum of 12 hours their first semester and then must take a minimum of 15 hours every semester after that. This equals a minimum amount of 27 hours completed their first year and 30 hours completed the next 3 years. Students must also maintain at least a 2.5 GPA. If the student needs to repeat a class to raise the GPA, he/she must do so over the summer with their own money. It’s important to remember that the total amount of hours that the student is required to complete must be new courses.

    Because Bible classes are 2 hours, it can be tricky to get a schedule to 15 hours. If the student has this scholarship, IT MAY BE BEST FOR THEM NOT TO TAKE KINS 101 OR A KINS ACTIVITY IN THE FIRST SEMESTER. These classes are great to bring a student’s schedule to 15 hours when need be. Also, it may be best if a student did not take KINS 101 and an activity in the same semester. It’s beneficial to take them separately to give students an easier route to get them to the 15 hour requirement.


  • Financial Aid - Students who receive Title IV financial aid must make satisfactory progress toward a degree. Satisfactory progress includes maintaining the following grade point averages:

1.50   up to 30 semester hours  

1.75   31 up to 45 semester hours  

1.90   46 up to 60 semester hours  

2.00   61 or more semester hours  

In addition, students must successfully complete at least two-thirds (2/3) of the overall hours attempted cumulatively, and all students must complete all coursework within 150% of the published length of the program (even if the student changes majors, enrolls in remedial coursework, or did not receive federal aid for the entire period of enrollment). Students may repeat enrollment in any courses (either to pass a previously failed course or to simply earn a better grade) so long as all coursework is completed within the 150% maximum time frame permitted. All hours of enrollment after the free drop/add period are considered attempted hours. Earned hours include all courses for which the student has successfully completed with quality points assigned. 

 If a student is placed on financial aid suspension due to grades, then repeating “F” courses will certainly help. “D” courses are considered to be completed courses to the U.S. Department of Ed., so please don’t advise these students to repeat “D’s” unless it’s an absolute must. Also, please keep in mind that financial aid will not pay for a course that has already been passed twice


2. How Students Change Their Major

  • Students must complete an online form in pipeline. Click on the “Student” tab and on the bottom-left of the page, click on the link Major/Minor Change which listed in a box labeled Registrar Forms.


3. Transferring in a Course

  • Students must have the Registrar’s approval before transferring a course taken at another school. To get approval, students must complete an online form in pipeline. Click on the “Student” tab and on the bottom-left of the page, click on the link Transfer Course Pre-Approval which listed in a box labeled Registrar Forms.


4. Substituting Honors Courses

  • Many students take HNRS 100 while in high school through Harding to get credit for a liberal arts course. In order to get credit for a particular course on the degree eval, students must complete an online form in pipeline. Click on the “Student” tab and on the bottom-left of the page, click on the link Honors Student Program which listed in a box labeled Registrar Forms. This form must be used to substitute all Honors courses, not just HNRS 100.


5. International Programs

  • Preparing for Study Abroad Program – Because many of the courses offered in our study abroad programs are liberal arts courses, it is best for students to reserve courses for a particular international program during their first semester. Course listings for the various programs can be found at the Study Abroad programs.


  • HUM 273 – HUM 273 is a required course, and students can take it for 3 to 6 hours. You can use those credits to fulfill the following liberal arts requirements: ART 101 (3), THEA 101 (3), ENG 201 or 202 (3), HIST 110 or 111 (3), MUS 101 (3), PHIL 251 (3) or up to 3 credits of global literacy. Have students decide which classes they’ll want their Humanities credits to go toward, and advise them not to take those classes here. In order to get credit for a particular course on the degree eval, students must complete an online form in pipeline. Click on the “Student” tab and on the bottom-left of the page, click on the link Humanities Courses (International Programs) which listed in a box labeled Registrar Forms.


6. Bible Requirements

  • Semester requirement - Students enrolled in 9 or more hours must take a 2 hour Bible course for up to 8 semesters. After 8 semesters of Bible, a Bible is not required just as long as the student has met the Bible liberal arts requirements.


  • Liberal Arts Bible Courses - Per the liberal arts requirements, freshman must take BNEW 111 in the Fall and BNEW 113 in the Spring. Sophomores must take BOLD 203 in the Fall and BOLD 207 in the Spring. Transfers who have previously attended another university as a freshman and are entering the university with 27 or more hours (not including courses taken during High School) will take the appropriate upper-level textual courses BNEW 311 and BOLD 302. Transfers will also need to take an additional 2-hours from an upper-level BOLD or a BNEW class is required to meet minimal liberal arts Bible requirements.


Students that fail one of the required textual Bible classes must retake it in order to graduate. If a sophomore doesn’t take either BOLD 203 or 207 due to participating in an overseas program or needing to retake a freshmen Bible, then that sophomore must take the course during the junior year.


7. Global Literacy and Other Liberal Arts Requirements


8. Early Alert and CARE

  • Early Alert – On the 5th week of the semester, all teachers will flag students who aren’t doing well in class with an “Early Alert.” When students receive at least one Early Alert flag, they are sent a letter from the Provost Office which recommends that they seek assistance from their instructor, advisor, and the various campus resources on campus. Students that receive 3 or more Early Alerts have a hold placed on their account by the Center for Student Success, and the hold will not be removed until they meet with someone at the CSS.


All advisors should get an email generated by Argos, which will inform advisors which of their advisees received Early Alerts, and it is strongly recommended that advisors contact those advisees that were flagged, especially if they received multiple flags. Because advisors are supposed to build a collaborative relationship with their advisees, advisors can be the most influential in terms of encouraging students to do well in their classes and/or to seek extra assistance through the various campus resources. Try to find a way to discuss these Early Alerts with the students, and then work together to decide what needs to be done in order to improve.


  • CARE – Stands for Concerned Alert Response Effort. If any Harding is concerned about a student and would like the Center for Student Success to check on that person, then you may complete a CARE form in pipeline. It is located in two places. The first location is under My Info and then Faculty Services. The second location is under the Employee tab, and the CARE link is in a box on the left side of the page labeled “Academic Resources.”


9. Academic Probation and Suspension

  • Probation - See the Academic Policies section of the HU online catalog for a detailed description of the Academic Standings. All students put on Academic Probation are required to take UNIV 150 – College Success the following semester unless they have successfully completed this course in the past. This course is for one-hour credit and meets once a week during the student’s chapel. Please keep this course in mind when assisting Probation students with their schedules since they are limited to 16 hours. Students on Probation also may not represent the school in any extracurricular activities such as clubs, sports, band, spring sing, intramurals, etc.

 The fastest way to raise a GPA is to repeat failed classes because the repeat class will completely replace the failed class. So please encourage these students to repeat “F” and “D” classes, especially “F” classes since changing an “F” to a “C” raises the GPA more than a “D” to a “C.” You may use the GPA calculator to help students determine what grades are needed in order to improve to Academic Good Standing.


  • Academic Probation and Suspension Self-Assessment - All students who are placed on Academic Probation or Suspension must complete a 5 page self-assessment, review it with their advisor, obtain the advisor’s signature, and turn it in to the Center for Student Success. Download the Academic Probation Self-Assessment (pdf).


The purpose of the self-assessment is to be more proactive in assisting at-risk students before they potentially face academic suspension, transfer, drop out of college, etc. This assessment is the first homework assignment of the course UNIV 150, and it is due by the second week of class.


The potential benefits of the self-assessment will largely depend on the support and use by all academic advisors. The following are some tips you can use so that your students can reap the full benefits that this assessment can offer:

  • Please do not view this as another form you have to sign. Instead, please view it as an opportunity for you to better get to know and assist your advisees;
  • Carefully review the assessment and follow-up on what was said, especially about the things that are being a hindrance to the student’s success;
  • Advise students to repeat courses to raise their GPA;
  • Develop a plan as to how students can overcome their obstacles and make referrals when necessary;
  • Use this to help create and clarify the student’s short and long-term goals;
  • Make a copy of the assessment for yourself and take additional notes for future reference;
  • Follow up with students on what is discussed later in the semester and school year.

  • Academic Suspension - When students are placed on Academic Suspension they receive an official notification by email from the Provost, and they must make an official appeal to the Academic Standing Committee. In order to appeal students must login to pipeline. Under My Info students should click on Student, then Student Records, then the link Academic Suspension Appeal. There is a deadline to appeal so if you think that a student is in danger of being suspended, then prepare them for this and encourage them to appeal as soon as they are notified. Suspended students who are allowed to return are required to take repeats and participate in the Boost program. Students who return after sitting out their suspension are also required to participate in this program.

Contact Us

Fax: 501-279-5270

Location: Student Center Room 236

Mailing address:
Harding University
Academic Advising
Box 10749
Searcy, AR 72149-5615