Cannon-Clary College of Education
Educational Specialist in Educational Leadership
What is the Educational Specialist in Educational Leadership?
Harding University’s Educational Leadership program is designed as a three-tier process. The Educational Specialist in Educational Leadership program corresponds with the second tier of this process.
Level One: Building Level Leadership (P-12)
This level will grant you a Master of Education degree in Educational Leadership. Successful completion of the School Leaders Licensure Assessment (SLLA) and a valid mentoring program will give you full building-level licensure from the State of Arkansas as a P-12 administrator.
Level Two: District-Level Leadership
Option A will grant you district-level administrative licensure following successful completion of the School Superintendent Assessment (SSA) and a valid mentoring program.
Option B grants you an Educational Specialist degree in Educational Leadership at the district level and will also grant you a district-level licensure following successful completion of the SSA and a valid mentoring program.
Level Three: P-20 Leadership
What courses are required?
The Ed.S. in Educational Leadership program consists of 30 hours, including a 3 hour internship and 1 hour Specialist Project.
For current course schedules, please visit the Graduate Programs.
If you are not interested in obtaining the full Ed.S. degree, you may be interested in the District Level (Superintendent's) Licensure program of study. See our Endorsements for more info.
For additional information about this program, you may want to consult the Catalog. (Be sure to select the Graduate & Professional Catalog for the current school year from the drop-down menu).
What are the admission requirements?
1. Complete application pdf with application fee.
2. Hold a valid teaching license and standard building administrator license (or have completed program requirements to receive a standard building administrator license at an accredited institution of higher learning) with at least four years of licensed classroom teaching experience.
3. Hold a master's degree in a related field from an accredited institution.
4. Have a graduate GPA of 3.00 or higher.
5. Be admitted to the Educational Leadership Program.
6. Successfully complete the MAT with a scaled score of 396 (which translates to a minimum raw score of 40) or the GRE with a minimum composite score of 900 on the verbal and qualitative sections and a 4.0 on the analytic section.
7. Provide satisfactory references from three people who know your professional abilities.
8. Submit written support from your superintendent or immediate supervisor that includes commitment allowing you to participate in field experiences.
9. Complete an entrance interview and an impromptu writing sample.
What are the graduation requirements?
1. Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 in all graduate work with no grade lower than C.
2. Complete an internship in district administration.
3. Complete a specialist project.
4. Compile and present a professional portfolio over Arkansas/ISLLC standards.
5. Pass written comprehensive exams.
6. Complete the Petition for Graduation pdf the semester before you expect to graduate.
Who do I contact for more information?
As always, if you have any questions, please feel free to contact us!
Office of Educational Leadership