Future Students Parents & Family Alumni & Friends Students & Employees
Admissions & Aid Academics Spiritual Life International Athletics Quick Links

Current Students

Why Do I Need an Academic Advisor?

Advisors know a great deal about course and graduation requirements and specific HU policies. At Harding, we like to think of our advisors as individuals who assist “students to realize the maximum educational benefits available to them by helping them better understand themselves and to learn to use the resources of the institution to meet their specific educational needs” (Wes Haley).

Our goal is for our advisers to:

  • Be accessible
  • Develop a caring relationship with their advisees
  • Be knowledgeable about academic requirements
  • Help students define and develop realistic educational goals and career plans
  • Assist students in planning a program consistent with their abilities, interests, values, and in selecting their course of study
  • Inform students of special services available to them, including the Career Services, Academic Resources, Writing Lab, etc.
  • Assist in making out a semester schedule
  • Check on the student’s academic progress through the semester

In addition, your academic advisor can be a wonderful resource and may be able to write letters of recommendation for you when you graduate and pursue other goals, including entering graduate programs.

How Do I Get an Academic Advisor?
  • When you declare a major, the Office of the Registrar assigns an advisor in your area of major. 
  • To see who your advisor is, log onto Pipeline, select the Student Tab. Your major and advisor are listed in the Academic Profile box. For instructions on how to declare your major, see "Declaring and Changing Majors" below.
  • If you have a favorite teacher in your major that you have been working with and would like to have that person function as your advisor, check with the teacher to ask if she/he is willing to be your academic advisor. If the teacher agrees to become your new advisor, she/he must email the registrar's office at registrar@harding.edu and request to become your advisor. 
  • Contact information for your advisor may be located by using the "People Search" option in Pipeline. The "People Search" link is located in the "Quick Links" Box on the Home Tab. You may also contact Academic Advising for contact information for your advisor since we maintain a current list of faculty who function as advisors for specific majors. 
  • All students must have an academic advisor.  If you need help getting an advisor assigned, please contact the Office of the Registrar at registrar@harding.edu.
Choosing a Major

Whether you’re currently considered “undeclared” or just wondering if your original major doesn’t fit as well as you’d like, remember that this is the time to explore the opportunities that will be the best fit for your skills, abilities and values.

It isn’t unusual for college students to feel unsure about the choice of a major. Many students change majors at least once during their college career. If you are considering changing your major, or even if you're pretty sure that you know what major is best for you, we suggest you review the steps below.

How to Explore New Majors

  • Assess your personal characteristics
  • What are your interests?
  • What are your abilities?
  • What are your values?
  • Think about the nature of the majors you are considering
    • Do the required courses in the majors you are considering sound interesting?
    • What are the types of jobs these majors will help you qualify for upon graduation?
    • How many semester hours of course work will it take to graduate with a bachelor’s degree?
    • How much math and/or science is required in these majors?
    • Do you have the ability to handle math and/or science-intensive majors?
    • Is foreign language required in these majors?
    • What cumulative GPA is required for admission to these majors?

We strongly recommend that you take advantage of Harding University’s Center for Student Success by contacting Academic Advising at advising@harding.edu or by calling 501-279-4531.   Academic Advising can administer testing to help identify your personality type, help you pick a major, help you decide what career is best for you, and provide career counseling.

Declaring and Changing Majors
  • Log onto Pipeline.
  • Select the Student Tab.
  • Go to the Registrar Forms box.
  • Select Major/Minor Change.
  • This will open a form which will allow you to make changes to your account.
  • Areas marked with an * must be completed in order for the form to process.  (If you do not have an HU box #, please enter "None" in that box or your form will not process.)
  • Press the NEXT button at the bottom of each page.  You will eventually be asked if you want to change your major.
  • When you select this option, you will be asked to select your degree first (Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, etc.)
  • You will need to select your major next.
  • Be sure to choose NEXT until you get a message that your form has been submitted. 
  • The Office of the Registrar will assign you a new advisor and update your records.  Please allow several working days for Pipeline to show your updated information.  Most of the time, the updates will occur overnight.  However, during very busy times, updates may take longer.
  • Please contact your new advisor to schedule a meeting to review your schedule to make sure you are on track for your major.  Contact information for your advisor may be located by using the "People Search" option in Pipeline.  The "People Search" link is located in the "Quick Links" Box on the Home Tab.  You may also contact Academic Advising for contact information for your advisor since we maintain a current list of faculty who function as advisors for specific majors. 
Checking Your Major Online

Students may check their major through Pipeline

  • Log into Pipeline.
  • Select the Student Tab.
  • Major and advisor information is located in the Academic Profile box.
Checking Your Degree Evaluation

Students may check their Degree Evaluation through Pipeline.

  • Go to Harding’s Pipeline Home Page.
  • Enter Harding username and password on left side menu.
  • Click Login or hit enter.
  • Click My HU Info tab near the top of the page.
  • Click Student.
  • Click Student Records.
  • Click Degree Evaluation.
  • Select term by using the arrow on the pull down menu.
  • Click the "Submit" button.
  • Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and click on "Generate New Evaluation"*
  • Click on the Bubble to select a program, degree, major and anticipated graduation term and click "Generate Request"
  • Select the desired display and click on "Submit".
  • *If you are considering changing majors, choose "What-If Analysis" instead of "Generate New Evaluation," and follow the steps to see how classes you have taken will apply to the potential new major.
Students Changing Advisors

Students may not request adviser changes.  However, students may go to a new adviser and the new adviser can request that a student become his/her advisee.  The new adviser may contact the Office of the Registrar at registrar@harding.edu with a request to become the student's adviser.  Advisers need to include the student's name and Harding ID# in this request.

Academic Advising


Student Center
Room 236

Box 10749
Searcy, AR 72149-5615