Future Students Parents & Family Alumni & Friends Students & Employees
Admissions & Aid Academics Spiritual Life International Athletics Quick Links

Frequently Asked Questions

What is academic advising?

“Academic advising is an educational process that, by intention and design, facilitates students’ understanding of the meaning and purpose of higher education and fosters their intellectual and personal development toward academic success and lifelong learning.” (NACADA, 2004)

Who performs academic advising?

Faculty members serve as academic advisors and should approve all course schedules. Students are assigned to faculty in their majors or preprofessional fields.

How do I get assigned an advisor?

When you declare your major by submitting the Major/Minor Change form in the Registrar Forms box on the Student Tab in Pipeline, the Office of the Registrar will assign an advisor in your area of major.

When do I declare a major?

Students may declare a major at any time, and are ordinarily expected to declare a major by the end of the sophomore year. After completion of 60 hours of undergraduate studies and before completing 75 hours of undergraduate studies, students must complete a degree evaluation with their academic advisor and take the signed evaluation to the Office of the Registrar. This requires that the student has a declared major. The Office of the Registrar places a hold on students who do not have a degree evaluation on file. This hold may prevent registration for the following semester and cannot be removed until the form is completed and submitted to the Office of the Registrar. Students may change majors at any time after declaration.

Do I get a new advisor when I change majors?

Yes. The Office of the Registrar will assign a new advisor when a major is changed. Students may check their major and advisor information in Pipeline on the Student Tab in the Academic Profile box.

How do I get an advisor if I’m undeclared?

Students who have not declared a major are assigned to the Director of Academic Advising in the Center for Student Success where they will be assisted with advising until a major is chosen. Career Counseling and Learning Enhancement Strategies are also available through Academic Advising.

Who should I contact if I'm not sure my major and advisor info is correct in Pipeline?

If you submitted your change of major in Pipeline using the Major/Minor Change form in the Registrar Forms box on the Student Tab and the information is not updated within five (5) working days, please email the Office of the Registrar at registrar@harding.edu. Most of the time, updates will occur quickly unless the changes are made when the offices are closed during holidays.

What does an academic advisor do?

The academic advisor’s role in the academic advising process is to:

  • Be accessible
  • Develop a caring relationship with advisees
  • Be knowledgeable about academic requirements, including being familiar with the catalog and graduation requirements
  • Help students define and develop realistic educational goals and career plans
  • Assist students in planning a program consistent with abilities and interests and in selecting a course of study
  • Inform students about special services available to them, including the Career Services, Academic Resources, Writing Lab, etc., and refer students to these resources when necessary
  • Assist in making out a semester schedule
  • Answer any questions that students may have and be the go-to person for students during challenging times
  • Check on the student's academic progress throughout the semester
What if I don’t like/take the recommendations of my advisor?

You, the student, are ultimately responsible for all academic choices and decisions; therefore, ignoring an advisor’s recommendation is a choice. It’s a safe assumption that the advisor is more knowledgeable than you about your major and academic policies, which could in turn create problems in meeting graduation requirements. If you feel unsure about your advising, feel free to contact the chairman of the department for a second opinion.

What is an advisee’s role in the academic advising process?

Being informed of your advisor’s name and office location.  Students may use the "People Search" option on the Home Tab in Pipeline to get contact information for academic advisors. We also strongly encourage you to:

  • Check HU email regularly; daily if possible
  • Communicate regularly with your advisor, including before registration to review your prospective schedule and course of study
  • Have an understanding of university polices, procedures, and degree and graduation requirements as outlined in the undergraduate catalog and student handbook
  • Actively participate in the advising process in a cooperative manner
  • Prepare for advising sessions, bring appropriate resources or materials, and a list of any questions or concerns
  • Accept ultimate responsibility for your educational progress and career decisions
  • Be open and honest with your advisor
  • Follow through on actions identified during each advising session
What is the difference between dropping a course and withdrawing from one?

When you drop a course on or before the deadline, the course does not appear on your permanent transcript. When you withdraw from a course on or before the withdrawal deadline, a W will appear on your transcript. The drop and withdrawal dates are published each semester by the Office of the Registrar.

Please note: you may still have financial obligations regarding these courses. Refer to Business Office or Student Financial Services for more information.

Academic Advising


Student Center
Room 236

Box 10749
Searcy, AR 72149-5615