Information and Guidelines
The Harding University Department of Art & Design has scholarships that range from $250 to $600 per year. You must meet the criteria listed below to be eligible for one of the scholarships. Please remember that you are competing with other applicants. Do not let this discourage you, but a complete and timely application is important. All applications must be received no later than April 15. Scholarship winners will be notified as soon as possible, usually within a month of the deadline.
- You must be a declared art major and show financial need. Do this by way of personal letter to the chair of the Department of Art & Design.
- Send an unofficial copy of your high school or college transcript.
- Submit a letter of recommendation from on of your art teachers.
- Submit a portfolio (as outlined below) of your best work.
- Get everything to us between March 1 and April 15. mail correspondence to the address below.
All submitted work should be original. that is, it should be done from observation of real life, from photographs that you have taken, or from your imagination. Original work better represents your abilities than work that has been copied from published photographs or another's art. When assigning scholarships considerable weight will be given to originality. If it is not possible to send original work you may submit a portfolio of photographs (slides or prints) or your work. These should be good quality photographs.
- Include between six and twelve pieces, depending on size and quality.
- We suggest that you include a self-portrait, preferably from a mirror.
- All submitted work should be clearly marked with your name. Enclose a sheet that has your name, address, and phone number as well as a listing of all your submitted pieces.
- a variety of media (pencil, charcoal, pastel, pen & ink, watercolor, oil or acrylic paintings) needs to be included. Some of the work should be in color. Please send photographs of three-dimensional work rather than the actual pieces. If you choose to submit a portfolio o photographs of your work, rather than the originals, be sure the photographs are good quality. Shoot them outside to get the best color.
If you send your portfolio by mail, please wrap it securely in a reusable carton. We will either return it to you by mail, or if you desire we will hold it for you to pick up. If we can be of any assistance to you please let us know. Our office hours are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday.
Chair: Department of Art & Design
Harding University | 915 E. Market Ave
Box 12253 | Searcy, AR 72149-5615
Phone: 501-279-4426 | Fax: 501-279-4717