We offer degree programs designed to prepare students for post-graduate work in most biological fields, such as cell and molecular biology, ecology, genetics, and marine biology. Many of our students attend professional programs in medicine, pharmacology, biotechnology, and forensic science, to name a few.
We work to make a supportive student-learning environment and provide excellent teaching in a Christian setting. The Center for Science and Engineering utilizes current technology in labs and classrooms.
Harding is located near the Ozark Mountains, in a region of America steeped in culture, with abundant waterfalls, caverns, and outdoor adventure. I hope you will visit our beautiful state and campus and meet our faculty and students.
- Dr. Benjamin F. Bruner, Chair of the Department of Biology
The mission of the biology faculty is to give students a deep appreciation and understanding of the diverse life on earth, instill a sense of their God-given responsibility to be good stewards of that life, and prepare students for challenging careers in the Biological Sciences. In pursuit of this mission, we strive to:
- Give students a rigorous working knowledge of the database from which current biologists work and an in-depth understanding of the theoretical framework for organizing this knowledge;
- Train students in the process by which biological data are gathered, analyzed, and interpreted;
- Encourage critical thinking when evaluating biological data and theories; and
- Encourage students to develop an internally consistent philosophy of life that integrates science and scripture and recognizes God as the source of all life.
Students who major in biology at Harding University are prepared to:
- Be competitive in graduate school in the biological sciences; including fisheries and wildlife programs, cellular and molecular biology programs, genetics, and biochemistry;
- Be competitive in professional schools such as medicine, dentistry, and physician's assistant;
- Teach in the biological sciences at the primary and secondary levels, and
- Fill entry level positions as research technicians in academia, industry and government.
"Who…does not know that the hand of the Lord has done this, in whose hand is the life of every living thing, and the breath of all mankind?” - Job 12:9-10