1. The Nation's Largest Employer is Hiring!
- Half of the nation's 1.8 million employees may be eligible to retire in the next 5 years.
- Unlike some other employers, the federal government will never go out of business. It will always need good people to protect the interests of American citizens.
2. There's a Job for Every Interest
- There are federal jobs suited to every interest and skill, from architecture to zoology.
- You can combine your skills with your interests - for example, use your engineering degree to improve airport security or your biology degree to conduct cutting-edge medical research.
3. You Can Make a Difference
- The work that government employees do has an impact on the life of every American.
- You can play a vital role in addressing pressing issues from homelessness to homeland security.
4. The Federal Government Can Help Pay for School
- Federal agencies may help you pay back your student loans if you work there for a certain length of time.
- Pursue a graduate degree, and your employing agency may just pick up the tab!
5. You Can Advance Quickly
- Federal agencies offer excellent training and development opportunities, and training can begin your first day on the job.
- There are a number of "fast track" possibilities for advancement within your field.
6. There are Federal Jobs Around the Corner, the Country...and Around the World
- Over 16 percent of federal employees work in the Midwest.
- Only 16 percent of government employees work in the Washington, DC vicinity.
7. The Federal Government Values Diversity
- The federal government has steadily increased the diversity of its workforce.
- Federal agencies actively encourage minorities and individuals with disabilities to consider government service through a variety of internship and fellowship programs.
8. Federal Jobs Pay Better Than You Think
- Average government salaries are competitive for most professions.
- Can increase pretty quickly for top candidates with strong education and experience.
9. Flexible Work Schedules and Benefits Encourage Work-Life Balance
- Flexible work schedules are a major upside for those with busy schedules.
- Federal benefits, including health insurance, retirement and vacation, are extremely competitive with the private sector.
10. The Federal Government Is a Career Builder
- Advance your career by developing highly marketable skills.
- Utilize your federal experiences as a building block for an exciting and diverse career.