Future Students Parents & Family Alumni & Friends Students & Employees
Admissions & Aid Academics Spiritual Life International Athletics Quick Links


What degrees do the Communication Sciences and Disorders (CSD) Department offer?

The CSD department currently offers two Bachelor of Arts degrees in Communication Sciences and Disorders and a Master of Science in Speech-Language Pathology.

What career opportunities will I be qualified for after graduation?

Students may use an undergraduate degree as a stepping-stone to advanced degrees in CSD, Reading, Special Education, Rehabilitation Counseling, ESL, Deaf Education and related fields or seek employment as a Speech-Language Pathology Assistant.  Students earning a graduate degree may apply for certification and licensure as a speech-language pathologist.

Is the CSD program nationally certified?

There are currently no accreditation requirements for undergraduate education in communication sciences and disorders.  Students graduating from our undergraduate program would need to complete a graduate degree from a CAA accredited graduate program in order to obtain certification as a speech-language pathologist or audiologist.  With that in mind, our goal is to prepare our undergraduate students to meet the entrance requirements of various national and international graduate programs.  The master's degree (M.S.) program in speech-language pathology at Harding University is accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, 2200 Research Boulevard #310, Rockville, Maryland 20850, 800-498-2071 or 301-296-5700.

Are there scholarships and/or financial aid available?

There are a limited number of very small scholarships available for those undergraduate students involved with clinical practicum experiences that usually begin in the junior year.  Several graduate assistantships are also available.  These are awarded during the graduate acceptance process.

When I complete my undergraduate degree from Harding University will I automatically be admitted to the Harding graduate program?

No!  Students must apply for admission by February 1 of the spring semester prior to fall enrollment of the Harding graduate program. All applications will be considered based upon individual merit during the selection process.

What is the advantage of attending the Harding undergraduate CSD program?

The primary advantage would be our emphasis on undergraduate education and the need for clinical practicum experiences in the initial stages of the educational process.  Students enrolled in our undergraduate program should complete more than 50 hours of supervised clinical practicum.

What is the advantage of attending the Harding graduate CSD program?

As with our undergraduate program, we stress direct personal contact between faculty and students as a part of our educational philosophy.  Our small graduate classes allow students and faculty to discuss professional issues directly.  We also provide the opportunity to participate in a multi-cultural clinical practicum experience at the Namwianga Mission near Kalomo, Zambia.  Harding graduate students and faculty will spend a part of each summer at the Namwianga Mission.

How do I obtain for additional information?

Call 501-279-4648