Secondary Education offers programs which prepares candidates for licensure in the following fields: art (P-12), drama/speech (7-12), English/language arts (7-12), Family and Consumer Sciences (7-12), Foreign Languages (Spanish and French 7-12), Kinesiology/health/coaching (P-12), Life Science/Earth Science (7-12), Mathematics (7-12), Music ( Vocal or Instrumental P-12), Physical Science/Earth Science (7-12), Social Studies (7-12), and Special Education Endorsement (7-12). Students preparing to teach in secondary schools must major in a secondary content teaching area, and are strongly encouraged to meet licensure requirements in at least one additional area.
- At least 45 upper-level hours, at least eight hours of textual Bible classes including one Old Testament textual class, and 128 total hours are required for graduation. Some areas may require more than 128 hours.
- No education courses may be taken by correspondence and the following courses must be taken in residence at Harding: EDFD 311, SEED 314, and Student Teaching.
- English course sequence of 113, 201 or 202, and 211 are required.
- Students should take EDFD 202 and 203 during their sophomore year.
- Students should apply for admission to the Teacher Education Program as soon as they complete EDFD 202 and 203.
- Students should reserve either the fall or spring semester of the senior year for the block of courses accompanying student teaching.
Program for Secondary Education
Students are also strongly encouraged to meet licensure requirements in at least one additional area, and those who seek additional licensure must meet Arkansas requirements in that teaching area. The secondary education program must include:
Liberal Arts Component - (54 hours)
Exceptions to the general education requirement are EDFD 203 in place of PSY. 201, and add HED 203. AP, CLEP or course credit is required for the prerequisites to the Teacher Education Program. The following courses are prerequisites for admission to the Teacher Education Program: COMO 101, EDFD 203, ENG. 113, ENG. 211, MATH 151 or higher, and EDFD 202 with a grade of "C" or better and meet Arkansas current cut scores on PRAXIS I-Reading, Writing, and Math examination.
Content for the Teaching Area(s) - (hours will vary according to major)
Twelve hours of social studies including POLS. 205 and HIST. 101 or 102 are required. There is a minimum number of courses required in each teaching area, usually greater than the 18 hours required for a minor.
Humanistic and Behavioral Studies - (8 hours)
Includes EDFD 203 and SPED 418.
Teaching and Learning Theory - (12 hours)
Includes EDFD 202, SEED 314, EDFD 311, SEED 417, and SEED 419-431.
Includes SEED 451 or 461. Students certifying in art, music, and kinesiology must take SEED 461. SEED 480 is also required.
Electives - (varies with major selected)
Total Minimum Degree Requirements = 128 hours.
Adobe Support for help with downloading or contact email@example.com and they can mail you the forms if you are a prospective student. Please provide your address and your graduation month and year.