Future Students Parents & Family Alumni & Friends Students & Employees
Admissions & Aid Academics Spiritual Life International Athletics Quick Links


Licensure Process

The most important thing to keep in mind is that getting a degree and getting a teaching license are two separate things. Harding grants you the degree but the Arkansas Department of Education (ADE) grants you the teaching license. Below we have outlined the process for obtaining your teaching license.

The Registrar has to post grades and print transcripts. We will not receive your transcripts from the Registrar until at least 2 weeks after graduation. Paperwork must then be processed and mailed to the Arkansas Department of Education. It usually takes 4-6 weeks for you to receive your license.

The following items must be submitted to the Dean’s office before your licensure paperwork can be processed:

When completing your ADE teacher application, please keep the following in mind:

  • Use BLUE or BLACK ink ONLY (no pencil!)
  • PRINT legibly
  • If you have completed the background check, check the “on file” box
  • If you have completed the Child Maltreatment Central Registry form and mailed to the Arkansas Department of Education, check the “on file” box.
  • Put an address where your license should be mailed after graduation
  • Make sure your email address is correct and easy to read
  • Make sure you sign your name at the bottom of the page
  • Remember, licensure does not affect graduation

Once ADE has all your paperwork, you can check the status of your licensure paperwork anytime.

If you have any questions about the licensure process, please contact Chris Williams in the Dean’s Office.

Phone: 501-279-4242       Email: cwilliams@harding.edu

Frequently Asked Questions

When do I pay my fee?

You will pay your fee once the paperwork has been processed by ADE.

Do I have to take my Praxis II test at Harding?

No. The Praxis II test is offered across the country and you can take it at any testing site. Just be sure you are taking the Praxis II test that you are required to take.

How long does it take to process my paperwork?

Once degrees are posted by the Registrar, processing time in the College of Education is approximately 2-3 days before paperwork is mailed to ADE. Then on average, it takes approximately 4-6 weeks for ADE to process licensure paperwork.

If I don’t graduate, can I still obtain a teaching license?

No. You must obtain a degree in your area before ADE will grant you a teaching license.

Contact Us

College of Education



501-279-4051 (fax)

Mailing Address:
Harding University
College of Education
Box 12254
Searcy, AR 72149

facebook.gif blogspot.gif twitter.gif