Eligible students are U.S. citizens or permanent residents who have successfully completed at least one year of college with a GPA of 2.75 or above, and who are either low-income and first generation college students or from minority groups underrepresented in graduate schools.
How to Apply for the McNair Program
Interested students must complete an application form, which includes an essay describing academic and career objectives as well as tentative plans for research. The student must also ask two faculty members to submit recommendation forms.
Program Requirements for Students
After being selected for the program, students will sign an agreement detailing the requirements of the program, which include:
- participating in meetings, workshops, seminars, and other scholarly activities
- achieving and maintaining a 3.0 GPA
- completing a summer research internship under the guidance of a faculty mentor
- preparing and presenting a research paper and poster session based on the summer research
- attending the prep sessions and taking the Graduate Record Examination
- releasing grade reports, financial aid notices, and any other required information to the McNair staff
- completing periodic program evaluations
- cooperating with follow-up surveys
For More Information
Please contact the McNair staff for more information or to obtain an application package. The McNair office is located in the Student Center, Room 222. Or call 501-279-5269.