Frequently Asked Questions
Harding University’s Doctor of Pharmacy program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education, 135 South LaSalle Street, Suite 4100, Chicago, IL 60603, 312/664-3575; FAX 312/664-4652, web site www.acpe-accredit.org.
The Harding University College of Pharmacy offers a traditional, four academic year professional doctor of pharmacy (Pharm.D.) degree pathway. The class of 2013 experienced a 5% attrition rate meaning that 5% of those who entered with this cohort were academically dismissed from the college. Of the students remaining in the cohort, 89% completed the curriculum in the specified four academic years while the remaining 11% are anticipated to graduate on an extended timeline.
The Harding University College of Pharmacy NAPLEX pass rate in 2012 for first-time takers (as reported on the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy Web site) was 90.91%. Preliminary results for 2013 indicate a NAPLEX pass rate for first-time takers of 91.3%.
The Harding University College of Pharmacy Class of 2013 had a 100% pass rate on the Arkansas State Board of Pharmacy Law Examination. All pharmacy students in Arkansas are required to take this exam at the end of the third professional year prior to beginning fourth professional year advanced pharmacy practice experiences. Sixteen percent of the class of 2013 entered post-doctoral residency programs upon graduation.
The inaugural class was seated in the fall of 2008.
The College offers the Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) as its single professional degree.
The Pharm.D. program is a four-year professional program after students have completed approximately three years of preprofessional courses.
Students may complete their preprofessional course requirements at Harding University or at any U.S. regionally accredited college or university. Be sure to review the HUCOP admissions information Web page for the list of required preprofessional courses. If you have any questions about the equivalency of any prepharmacy course to those required by the College, please contact the College via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The tuition for 2013-14 is $33,186. Other program costs include books, insurance, purchase of a laptop computer, travel to practice sites, room, and board. Book costs are estimated to be $600 - $1000 per semester years P1 – P3.
No student is required to find his or her own clinical sites. However, if a student knows of clinical sites near his or her home, there is a process in place to petition theAssistant Deanfor Experiential Education for site verification and approval. The student should begin the petition process well in advance of the anticipated practice experience in order to allow ample time for appropriate site investigation and preceptor training. Not all potential sites identified by students will be deemed acceptable by theAssistant Deanfor Experiential Education and approval is at the discretion of the Dean.
The Pharm.D. curriculum includes clinical experiences in all four professional years (P1 – P4). The early, or introductory, pharmacy practice experiencesare located within a 1-hour driving radius of the HUCOP campus in Searcy, Arkansas. The advanced pharmacy practice experiences comprising the fourth professional year may require relocation of the student to sites outside the Searcy area. Students may also petition the Assistant Dean for Experiential Education to complete selected experiences at other locations outside the HUCOP network of affiliated clinical sites. Additionally, students will have opportunities to participate in international mission-related clinical experiences.
Yes, students have access to Harding University housing facilities.
Yes, the College requires an on-site interview prior to admission to the Pharm.D. program. All expenses related to travel for the interview are the student’s responsibility, although low-cost accommodations may be available on campus.
The College of Nursing has been in existence for 30 years offering the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree. The Physician Assistant Program graduated its first class of Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies (MS) candidates in July 2007. The College of Communication awards a Bachelor of Arts degree in Communication Disorders and a Master of Science degree in Speech-Language Pathology for students planning to pursue certification by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. The Doctor of Physical Therapy Program accepted its first class in the Fall of 2011.
The College enrolls 60 students per year for an average total enrollment of 240 P1-P4 students in the College.