Communication Sciences and Disorders
  • This is a photo of a student speech therapist working with a client.

    Experience the field of communication sciences & disorders as it relates to other health care professionals.

    Interprofessional Education
  • This is a photo of students in a department of communication sciences and disorders class.

    We strive to help our students develop leadership skills that enable them to make a difference.

    Undergraduate Program
  • This is a photo of a student speech therapist working with a client.

    Our speech clinic provides opportunities for advanced training and research.

    Speech Clinic
  • Link

    Become a part of a team linked together through excellence, service, mission, community and The Word.

    Graduate Program

Join a virtual information session.

Harding University has offered academic coursework in communication sciences and disorders since 1953, when Richard Walker introduced "speech therapy services" to Searcy. Since that time, the program has noted significant growth and evolution; however, continues to be a service to Harding University faculty, staff, students and to the communities of central Arkansas.


The Master of Science in speech-language pathology trains highly competent speech-language pathologists in a rigorous academic curriculum and clinical practicum. Graduates will be prepared to sit for the national licensing exam. The program has a 100% pass rate for the past 12 years.  Request more information here.


The accelerated track makes it possible for qualified students to complete both a Bachelor of Arts in Communication Sciences & Disorders and a Master of Science in Speech-Language Pathology in five years. 


The Bachelor of Arts in communication sciences and disorders prepares students to pursue advanced degrees in speech-language pathology, audiology, speech and hearing science and more through excellent academic and clinical training. Options: Clinical and nonclinical track. Accelerated B.A.-M.S. program available. 


First in the state of Arkansas, the Bachelor of Arts in speech-language pathology assistant prepares you to provide various aspects of patient service under the supervision of a speech-language pathologist. Graduates will be prepared to seek state licensure and national certification. Delivery: Four-year degree or two-year degree completion. 


The certificate in American Sign Language provides training in basic ASL and an understanding of Deaf culture with the goal to enhance your communication skills and benefit you in your career. The 12-credit-hour certificate is open to students across all majors. 

About CSD


This is the logo for the Council on Academic Accreditation for Speech-Language Pathology.

The Master of Science (M.S.) education program in speech-language pathology at Harding University is accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation (CAA) in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, 2200 Research Boulevard #310, Rockville, Maryland 20850, 800-498-2071 or 301-296-5700.

In order to work as a Speech-Language Pathologist or Audiologist, undergraduate students must continue their education at a CAA accredited graduate program. Graduates of the Harding undergraduate program must apply to the graduate program for consideration of admission. The Harding program is a member of the Council of Academic Programs in Communication Sciences and Disorders. All professional staff hold ASHA's Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech-Language Pathology or Audiology and hold Arkansas licenses in their respective areas.

Frequently Asked Questions

What career opportunities will I be qualified for after graduation?

While the majority of CSD students pursue graduate education in the fields of speech-language pathology or audiology, others may use their undergraduate degree as a foundation for careers in reading, special education, rehabilitation counseling, teaching English as a second language, or deaf education.   Other graduates seek employment as a Speech-Language Pathology Assistant.  Students earning a graduate degree may apply for certification and licensure as a speech-language pathologist.

Is the CSD program nationally certified?

There are currently no accreditation requirements for undergraduate education in communication sciences and disorders.  Students graduating from our undergraduate program would need to complete a graduate degree from a CAA accredited graduate program in order to obtain certification as a speech-language pathologist or audiologist.  With that in mind, our goal is to prepare our undergraduate students to meet the entrance requirements of various national and international graduate programs.  The master's degree (M.S.) education program in speech-language pathology at Harding University is accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, 2200 Research Boulevard #310, Rockville, Maryland 20850, 800-498-2071 or 301-296-5700.

Are there scholarships and/or financial aid available?

There are a limited number of very small scholarships available for those undergraduate students involved with clinical practicum experiences that usually begin in the junior year.  Several graduate assistantships are also available.  These are awarded during the graduate acceptance process.

Will I automatically be admitted to the graduate program upon graduation from Harding?

No — Students must apply for admission by February 1 of the spring semester prior to fall enrollment of the Harding graduate program. All applications will be considered based upon individual merit during the selection process.

What is the advantage of attending the Harding undergraduate CSD program?

The primary advantage would be our emphasis on undergraduate education and the need for clinical practicum experiences in the initial stages of the educational process.  Students enrolled in our undergraduate program should complete more than 50 hours of supervised clinical practicum.

What is the advantage of attending the Harding graduate CSD program?

As with our undergraduate program, we stress direct personal contact between faculty and students as a part of our educational philosophy.  Our small graduate classes allow students and faculty to discuss professional issues directly.  We also provide the opportunity for our graduate students to participate in a multi-cultural, six-week clinical practicum experience at the Namwianga Mission near Kalomo, Zambia.  



The Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders is located in the Swaid Center for Health Sciences on the main Harding University campus. The Swaid building is located at 805 E. Park Avenue and is fully accessible to those with disabilities with "visitor" and "handicapped" parking available in the lot in front of the building. An online map is available. We invite you to visit at any time. If a faculty member is available to talk with you, we will discuss our undergraduate and graduate academic programs and the professions of speech-language pathology and audiology as well as give you a tour of our facilities. To guarantee that someone is available to meet with you, we recommend that you make an appointment. Please contact 501-279-4648 or for additional information.

Contact Us

Mailing address:
Harding University
Communication Sciences & Disorders
Box 10872
Searcy, AR 72149-5615