Frequently Asked Questions

What career opportunities will I be qualified for after graduation?

While the majority of CSD students pursue graduate education in the fields of speech-language pathology or audiology, others may use their undergraduate degree as a foundation for careers in reading, special education, rehabilitation counseling, teaching English as a second language, or deaf education. Other graduates seek employment as a Speech-Language Pathology Assistant. Students earning a graduate degree may apply for certification and licensure as a speech-language pathologist.

Is the CSD program nationally certified?

There are currently no accreditation requirements for undergraduate education in communication sciences and disorders. Students graduating from our undergraduate program would need to complete a graduate degree from a CAA accredited graduate program in order to obtain certification as a speech-language pathologist or audiologist. With that in mind, our goal is to prepare our undergraduate students to meet the entrance requirements of various national and international graduate programs. The master's degree (M.S.) education program in speech-language pathology at Harding University is accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, 2200 Research Boulevard #310, Rockville, Maryland 20850, 800-498-2071 or 301-296-5700.

Are there scholarships and/or financial aid available?

There are a limited number of scholarships available for undergraduate students. Those are awarded annually to students showing strong academic and clinical achievement. Recipients are selected by the faculty. Three graduate assistantships are awarded to top candidates during the graduate acceptance process.

Will I automatically be admitted to the graduate program upon graduation from Harding?

No. While Harding students are very well prepared to continue their graduate education, students must apply for admission by February 15 prior to fall enrollment in Harding’s graduate program. All applications will be considered based upon individual merit.

What sets Harding’s undergraduate program apart from the competition?

Our students receive excellent academic education in a warm, supportive environment. Students are assigned an academic advisor who will support them for the duration of their undergraduate career. The advisor provides guidance on course selection but seeks a deeper relationship with each student, extending the idea of academic advising to include mentoring, help with applying to and transitioning to graduate school, and development of professionalism. Additionally, our undergraduates have the opportunity to complete three semesters of clinical practicum, which is a unique opportunity in undergraduate programs. Most other programs reserve these opportunities for graduate students. The final semester of practicum takes senior-level students to local public schools where they learn alongside one of our talented colleagues. Students routinely complete their undergraduate degrees with 100 hours of direct therapy time.

What sets Harding’s graduate program apart from the competition?

Harding graduate students receive a top-notch education in an environment where faculty seek to be more than just teachers. Student cohorts develop tight bonds that persist long after graduation. Students learn that professional service is an expression of their faith as they incorporate high ethical standards and quality patient care into their developing professional identity. A wide range of clinical practicum sites are available, including our unique six-week summer experience in Zambia.

Where are we located?

The Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders is located in the Swaid Center for Health Sciences on the main Harding University campus. The Swaid building is located at 805 E. Park Avenue and is fully accessible to those with disabilities with "visitor" and "handicapped" parking available in the lot in front of the building. An Online Map is available. We invite you to visit at any time. We would love the opportunity to tell you more about our undergraduate and graduate programs and the professions of speech-language pathology and audiology. Our facilities are beautiful, and we would love to give you a tour. To make an appointment or for additional information, please contact 501-279-4648 or

Contact Us

Communication Sciences & Disorders is a part of the College of Allied Health


Mailing address:
Harding University
Communication Sciences & Disorders
HU 10872
Searcy, AR 72149-5615