Graduate School of Business
Master of Science in Information Systems
Accelerate your career | Strengthen your faith
Why this Program?
In a world where 90% of the data has been created in the last two years alone, the shelf life of education has never been shorter. Every business decision is data driven and every job is being reshaped by technology. The IS discipline bridges the gap between business professionals and highly technical professionals. As such the MSIS is carefully designed with the business professional in mind, engaging just enough technology for a deeper understanding of and participation in data or security related decisions.
Who would benefit from the Program?
- Business professionals who want to stay current with technology related changes affecting their career,
- Those working in the technology field but do not have undergraduate qualifications in this field,
- Those working in the technology field who have undergraduate qualifications in the field but want to add to their qualifications and update their knowledge in data analytics or security.
The program is NOT highly technical and is not a masters in 'Data Science' Or 'Cybersecurity' which prepares graduates to be experts in these fields. Such degrees typically require a bachelor’s degree in a similar field. The MSIS does however equip the graduate to work closely with these professionals to create better business value for their area.
The MSIS is a 30 credit hour program comprised of 10 courses, 6 courses (18 hours) in the core and 4 courses (12 hours) in a selected concentration. The core consists of IS fundamentals in the areas of process integration, systems analysis and design, database design, project management, and ethics in data management. Concentrations include "data analytics" and "information assurance and security."
- IS - 605 - Business Process Integration
- IS - 630 - Information Systems for Competitive Advantage
- IS - 635 - Database Management Systems
- IS - 640 - Systems Analysis and Design
- IS - 645 - Data Ethics, Privacy and Security
- MGT - 683 - Project Management
Students will pace themselves through the program. A student taking the maximum credits allowed can earn their degree in as few as 3 semesters, dependent upon start date and hours enrolled per semester. We use a Master Schedule and a student can take up to 7 years to complete the program.
Data analytics bridges the gap between the technical expertise of data scientists and the operational expertise of marketing, supply chain, risk, and other frontline managers, equiping graduates to use Big Data tools to analyse and create data. This new function/role has been termed Citizen Data Scientist, a position that is expected to grow at five times the rate of the data scientist.
IS 651 – Statistical concepts for Data Analytics
IS 652 – Data Visualization
IS 653 – Data Quality and Preparation for Analytics
IS 654 – Applied Data Analytics
Information assurance and security equips graduates to understand and communicate cybersecurity risks to internal teams and external clients, make sound strategic decisions related to investments in cybersecurity, and understand cybersecurity risk management and reporting frameworks.
IS 661 - Cyber Security Fundamentals
IS 662 - Information Security Policy and Governance
IS 663 - Cyber Security Risk Management
IS 664 - Computer Forensics
When To Apply
Apply for MSIS sessions by the following dates:
Spring Block 2: March 1
Fall Block 1: Aug. 9, 2019
Fall Block 2: Oct. 4, 2019
Spring Block 1: Jan. 3, 2020
How to Apply
Harding University Graduate School of Business is participating in the Business Centralized Application Service (BusinessCAS).
- Preferred browsers are Google Chrome or Firefox
- Online application customer service: 617-926-0504 or BusinessCAS@liaisoncas.com.
- Transcripts should be sent directly to:
BusinessCAS Transcript Processing Center
P.O. Box 9221
Watertown, MA 02471
- Complete and submit the BusinessCAS application and applicable fees
- Request official transcripts be sent to BusinessCAS*
- Have recommenders submit 3 letters of recommendation through BusinessCAS
- Upload 1 writing sample in the BusinessCAS Documents section
- Upload a current resume/CV in the Supporting Information section
- GMAT or GRE scores, as applicable. (See Admissions Requirements below.)
Additional Requirement for International Students
- TOEFL scores, as applicable. TOEFL CODE: B888 (See additional information below.)
*Transcriptions should be sent directly to:
BusinessCAS Transcript Processing Center
P.O. Box 9221
Watertown, MA 02471
Admission to the Harding University Graduate School of Business is determined on an individual basis. While not all-inclusive, the following indicators are considered: (1) academic preparation, (2) character, (3) educational interests, (4) academic potential, (5) the ability to bring value to the program, (6) letters of recommendation, and (7) a writing sample. Effort is made to admit all students who qualify and who can benefit from the unique educational program and opportunities available at Harding University.
- A baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university with an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher (on a 4.0 scale). Persons with less than a 3.0 GPA may be considered for provisional admission.
- Though not a requirement for admission, if your degree did not include courses in accounting, financial management and statistics, you may be required to take short leveling readiness courses prior to taking your first courses in the program. Please speak to a graduate advisor to determine placement within these courses.
- GMAT (target score of 500) or GRE (target score of 300)
- WAIVERS: The GMAT/GRE entrance exam is waived for applicants with a GPA of 3.5 with less than 5 years’ professional experience or with a GPA of 3.0 with a minimum of 5 years’ professional experience. Additional waivers for the entrance exam may be possible (e.g., previous graduate work, analytical responsibilities including P&L, CPA licensure).
About additional douments for international students
Harding University requires all international applicants for whom English is not the first language or who have not graduated from an American university to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). TOEFL results for international students should be 550 PBT, 213 CBT or 80 iBT minimum score (no older than five years) or demonstrated performance at a U.S. institution of higher learning.
TOEFL CODE: B888
Fill out the form below to receive information on our program in the mail.
The Graduate School of Business is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
The Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) is a leading specialized accreditation association for business education supporting, celebrating, and rewarding teaching excellence. The association embraces the virtues of teaching excellence and emphasizes to students that it is essential to learn how to learn.
ACBSP accredits business, accounting, and business-related programs at the associate, baccalaureate, master, and doctorate degree levels worldwide. Recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) in 2001 and again in 2011, ACBSP was the first to offer specialized business accreditation at all degree levels.