Cannon-Clary College of Education

Educational Specialist in Educational Leadership

What is the Educational Specialist in Educational Leadership?

If you are interested in serving as a superintendent or assistant superintendent, then this program is for you. The Educational Specialist degree in Educational Leadership at the district level will also grant you district level administrator licensure following successful completion of the School Superintendent Assessment (SSA) and a year of building level administrator experience.

What courses are required?

The Ed.S. in Educational Leadership program consists of 30 hours, including a 3-hour internship and a 1-hour Specialist Project.

Ed.S. in Educational Leadership Curriculum Plan pdf

For current course schedules, please visit the Graduate Programs.

If you are not interested in obtaining the full Ed.S. degree, you may be interested in the District Level (Superintendent's) Licensure program of study. See our Endorsements for more info.

For additional information about this program, you may want to consult the Catalog.

What are the admission requirements?

1. Complete application pdf with application fee.

2. Hold a valid teaching license and standard building administrator license (or have completed program requirements to receive a standard building administrator license at an accredited institution of higher learning) with at least three years of licensed classroom teaching experience.

3. Hold a master's degree in a related field from a regionally accredited institution. 

4. Have a graduate GPA of 3.00 or higher.

5. Be admitted to the Educational Leadership Program.

6. Successfully complete the MAT with a scaled score of 396 (which translates to a minimum raw score of 40) or the GRE with a minimum composite score of 900 on the verbal and qualitative sections and a 4.0 on the analytic section.

7. Provide satisfactory references from three individuals who know your professional abilities.

8. Submit written support from your superintendent or immediate supervisor that includes commitment allowing you to participate in field experiences.

What are the graduation requirements? 

1. Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 in all graduate work with no grade lower than C.

2. Complete an internship in district administration.

3. Complete a specialist project.

4. Compile and present a professional portfolio over Arkansas and national accreditation  standards.

5. Pass written comprehensive exams.

6. Complete the Petition for Graduation pdf the semester before you expect to graduate.

Who do I contact for more information?

As always, if you have any questions, please feel free to contact us!

Office of Educational Leadership


Fax: 501-279-4435

Contact Us

Graduate Studies in Education is part of the College of Education


Fax: 501-279-4083

Mailing address:
Harding University
Graduate Studies in Education
Box 12261
Searcy, AR 72149-5615