University College

Student Jobs

We are excited about working with you to assure an effective and fair employment system for all student applicants.

Harding University Student Employment offers students part-time jobs that are often related to their skills, academic or career fields, experiences, or interests.

Job duties range from those requiring specialized skills to those only requiring a willingness to work. Working part-time allows a student to earn money for college expenses, establish a work record, develop skills that will be useful in a career, and provide an opportunity for interaction with faculty, staff, and fellow students.

If you have any questions about the process, please come by our office located in Student Center 239, call us at 4454 or email us at Our doors are open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. - 12 p.m. and 1-5 p.m. to serve you.


Student must be currently enrolled in classes or registered for the next semester during periods of non-enrollment. New incoming students admitted to the university and who have paid the enrollment deposit for fall semester are eligible for student employment the preceding summer.

Students must support the university's mission to provide quality education in a Christian environment.

Application Process

Student job vacancies on-campus are posted on Bison Career Search (BCS). Off-campus jobs are posted on Pipeline on Whiteboard under "Student Jobs".

  1. Compile an application (pdf).
  2. Take a completed application to each hiring supervisor. This will give you some name/face recognition with the office.
  3. When you are hired, go to Student Payroll (142 Ezell) to complete new-hire papers. You will not be able to work until you have completed all necessary paperwork. You will need to bring with you original documents from List A or List B & C from the List of Acceptable Documents (pdf). You will be given a card to give to your supervisor that states you have completed the necessary papers and are ready to begin work.

Note: You may notice a check box for "Odd Jobs" on the back of the application.  Odd jobs are generally those which an employer needs one or more workers for a specific project and/or immediate need. Usually these are short-term jobs and the person only works until the project is completed. If you are interested in being notified about "Odd Jobs", please send an email to to let us know.  Be sure to include your name, phone number and email address. 

Tips for your interview(s):

  • Do some research on the department and its role on campus.
  • Be prepared to discuss any previous work or volunteer experiences.
  • Dress nicely and be on time for the interview.
  • Bring your class schedule to the interview.

After an interview:

  • If a student has not heard from the department within a week of the interview (or the deadline specified by the department), the student should call the department to see if a decision has been made.
  • Supervisors will complete a Student Work Authorization Form indicating the student(s) hired and forward the requisition to Career Services and Student Payroll.
  • If a student is not hired by the department, or if the student finds the job is not a good fit for his/her needs, the student should continue to watch the postings or contact Career Services.

Types of Employment

There are many types of student jobs available including office/clerical support jobs in academic and administrative offices, tutors, lab assistants, faculty assistants, lifeguards, general maintenance and grounds keeping, housekeeping, food service, postal clerks, cashiers, wellness center assistants, auditorium ushers, library desk attendants, light and sound technicians, drama and music assistants, security officers, telemarketing, and recruiting.

All students are eligible for any position on campus*, whether Federal Work Study (FWS) or Work@Harding University (WHU) students. Most students are paid per hour on a biweekly pay schedule. Student positions are not eligible for University benefits.

* America Reads tutors can only be FWS eligible students.

Federal Work Study (FWS)

FWS is a program provided by the federal government that assists this University to employ students based on their financial aid eligibility. Student Financial Services will determine the award, and the student will be notified in an award letter. Please note: The awarded amount is not applied directly to your charges in the Business Office. Students have to work in order to receive the amount of money awarded to them. Unfortunately awarded eligibility does not guarantee a student a job. Visit Student Financial Services' Website at to learn more about completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). All FWS students work on campus or in our community service positions. International students are not eligible for FWS.

Work@Harding University (WHU)

Students who do not qualify for FWS or did not complete the FAFSA are considered WHU students. There is no differentiation between the types of positions or eligibility for positions between FWS and WHU.

Off-Campus Affiliated Employment

In those instances where the university's student employment program may not meet the employment needs of students, Career Services maintains a list of positions available within the community and we post the jobs on At times local businesses and private individuals contact Career Services to post their open positions. These job notices are posted as a service to area employers. The university is not responsible for the safety, wages, working conditions, or other aspects of this type of employment. Federal Work Study allocation is not applicable for this type of community employment. International students (F-1 Visa) are not eligible for this type of community employment.

Scheduling & Compensation


Students can usually work an average of 20 hours per week (20 hours for most International Students) during periods of enrollment, and up to 40 hours per week during periods of non-enrollment (Christmas, Spring Break, and Summer Break).


The majority of student positions are paid an hourly wage. Because students are part-time temporary employees, they do not receive benefits such as paid holidays, health insurance, etc., but are covered under Worker's Compensation.

Students are paid on a regular bi-weekly schedule.

Student Forms

If you are interested in one of the positions listed below, please complete the appropriate supplement, in addition to the Student Job Application.

If you have difficulty in downloading the PDF's above visit Adobe Support for help with downloading or contact to get the form(s) from our office.

Contact Us

Location: Student Center room 239

Office Hours: Monday-Friday 8am-5pm

Box 12243