Honors Media and Culture
Get an A+ in Adventure!
The Harding Honors Media and Culture is a two-week academic program on the Searcy campus designed to challenge, encourage, and inspire high school students who are now in their junior year (students graduating in the class of 2016).
During Honors Media and Culture, you will study the power of media, examine cultural narratives, and help tell important stories as you learn more about your own story. Distinguished faculty from across campus will lead you through a thought-provoking study of media and culture from a Christian worldview. You will read, write, photograph, edit, record, document, interview, and publish. But mostly you will think. The goal is simple: to broaden your worldview, one story at a time.
Three hours of university credit are awarded to all who successfully complete the program. This credit is transferable to the college or university of the participant's choice. At Harding, Honors Media and Culture credit may be applied to one of the following courses:
- COMO 101
- COMM 191
- COMM 192
- COMM 201
The 2015 Honors Media and Culture Dates
Honors Media and Culture will be June 22-July 6 and the session will be capped at 30 students.
Admission to the Honors Media and Culture is treated on an individual basis with special consideration given to grade point average, a score from any nationally standardized test (ACT, SAT, PSAT) and a reference letter.
Items needed for a complete application:
- a recent photograph
- a letter of reference from a teacher, guidance counselor or church leader outlining your academic capability and current leadership roles.
- a copy of your current high school transcript
- official ACT or SAT test scores submitted by testing agency directly to Harding (or PSAT scores sent to SAI office)
- a $250 deposit*
*Deposit is applied toward the total cost of $795.00. Students not accepted to the program will be refunded the deposit. Accepted students whose summer plans change for any reason by March 1, 2015 will be refunded the deposit. A change of plans after March 1 (other than medical) will forfeit the deposit.
You can submit all the above by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) or mail to the address below. Can't remember what items you haven't submitted? Call us at 501-279-5272!
Final payments are due Monday, June 1st. If you are paying by credit card please call 501-279-5272. If you would like to pay by check make them payable to Harding University and mail them to the address below.
Honors Media and Culture
Searcy, AR 72149
Submit a Letter of Reference
Please complete the following form so that we can send you an invitation to the Honors Media and Culture.
Flying to Honors Media and Culture? Download the required Flight arrangements pdf.
- The first day consists of registration, a casual reception and orientation by the counselors. Registration is typically from 2-4 in the afternoon.
- The schedule of activities begins around 9 or 10 a.m. Your day will include lectures, discussion groups, interactive classes on a variety of topics relating to the central theme. Evenings are filled with fun activities to give you an opportunity to relax and socialize.
- Saturdays are full days as well with relaxed time constraints, and Sundays include worship time together.
- The Honors Media and Culture session concludes after breakfast on your closing Monday. Students must depart campus by 10:00am.
All in all you are about to embark on a magnificent learning experience, which will allow you development in many areas. Students will receive a complete schedule when they arrive on campus for the session.
See Where We're From
Honors Media and Culture 2014