Harding Radio History
· Harding’s first involvement in radio came in the 1940s when the “college” acquired WHBQ in Memphis. The station was used to help recruit students and raise money. The station was sold to RKO General in 1956.
· Live campus radio transmission began November 16, 1964 when KHCA 720 AM began closed circuit carrier current transmission from studios in the basement of the Bible building. The carrier current system sent audio signals through the electrical wiring of the campus.
· KHCA moved to the basement of the Ganus building in 1973.
· KHCA moved to the second floor of the Reynolds Center in 1998 and provided background audio for the university’s TV16 cable channel.
· AM1660 went on the air July 28, 2006 as a low-power noncommercial AM service for the campus. The station’s coverage area is largely confined to the campus.
· KVHU-FM 95.3 went on the air August 18, 2006 as a commercial FM station serving central Arkansas. The station, owned by Flinn Broadcasting in Memphis, is licensed to Judsonia and has a coverage area of more than 50 miles, reaching more than 10 counties, 100 town/cities, and a potential audience of more than 250,000 people. The station is also streamed worldwide on the Internet at KVHU.HARDING.EDU.