Health Services

Frequently Asked Questions

Should I be tested for COVID-19?

Reasons to pursue testing include fever over 100.4F, instruction from the AR Dept. of Health to be tested, or reasonable concern that close contact exposure has occurred. Compliance with testing required as part of contact tracing by the AR Dept. of Health is mandatory. Noting that those who travel are more at risk, limiting recreational travel is one helpful way to reduce risk. Other vital mitigation efforts include masking, distancing, frequent handwashing, and cleaning surfaces effectively. If you would like to discuss your circumstances with an RN in student health prior to seeking voluntary testing, complete the COVID-19 screening form. More information on testing is available at:

Am I required to have health insurance when attending HU?

While health insurance is not a requirement, it is highly recommended should unexpected illness or injury occur. In the absence of insurance, students are encouraged to consider options available at: Other local provider options may allow affordable access in a cash for service approach. Since issues like strep throat and sprained ankles can occur, setting aside a fund to be used to cover a doctor visit and prescription is a helpful start.

Does HU offer a health insurance plan?

HU does not offer a health plan to students. With the implementation of the Affordable Care Act, affordable insurance options were made available, which made private plans once offered by universities more cost prohibitive. You can explore options at:

Am I required to see a nurse before going to the doctor?

While a nurse visit in HU student health is not required before seeking a visit with a doctor, many students have questions regarding whether they need to see a doctor, how much it will cost, which providers are covered by their health plan, and how to contact a new physician. Because we work closely with local providers, our office is typically able to make same day appointments for students seeking care. We’re here to help!

Does HU student health offer flu shots?

Our office is only equipped to file health insurance on behalf of HU employees and their participating family members. Since many students have health insurance, it is most cost effective for them to present their coverage with a local retail provider, such as a pharmacy, where they can be vaccinated at no out of pocket cost. However, for students without health insurance, our office can provide flu vaccination at half the cost they would pay elsewhere while supplies last. We begin offering flu vaccines October 1 and offer them until our supply is depleted.

What is TB skin testing?

Skin testing for TB is an effective screening practice for tuberculosis infection and is required by a wide variety of clinical sites hosting students as they learn. To use a helpful analogy, TB skin testing asks your immune system the following question: Have you ever seen this dangerous bacteria before? A negative result means, “No, my body has never encountered this bacteria.” A positive result means, “Yes, my immune system has seen that bacteria and knows that it is dangerous.” Initial testing, provided by CDC guidance, requires a 2-step testing process to ensure an accurate baseline result.

How do I complete TB skin testing?

Completing initial TB skin testing requires a 2-step process as outlined in CDC guidance. Planning in advance is essential as it will require a minimum of 2 weeks and 4 visits in our office to complete the process. Each test is time sensitive and requires a brief return visit for reading 48-72 hours after the dose is placed. If your program requires TB testing for clinical placements, talk to your program coordinator about when you need to complete testing. While testing can be done through local medical /urgent care clinics, our office offers a significant cost savings.

When should I seek care from a doctor?

Pursuit of medical evaluation by a physician or nurse practitioner is an important decision. While some illnesses may resolve with time, rest, and over the counter medications, others may require testing, diagnostics, or prescription medications. In general, a visit with a medical professional is recommended when specific tests or treatments are needed that cannot be accomplished trying to recover on your own, or when symptoms are more severe and last longer. The nurses in Student Health are happy to discuss your circumstances and help you make health care connections with medical providers when needed.

Which non-prescription medication should I take for my symptoms?

Using medications in a safe, responsible manner is vital to preserving your health. While following package labeling is definitely a great start, it may not answer every question, such as, “can I take this medication with my prescription medication?” When questions arise, a visit with an RN in HU student health can help ensure that you use medications safely. After hours and on weekends, pharmacies with a 24 hour pharmacist are just a phone call away and can also help you ensure that medications are being used safely.

Contact Us

Health Services

501-279-4346 or 501-368-5324

Fax: 501-279-4577

115 Dr. Jimmy Carr Drive, (ground floor of Risinger house in Legacy Park), near Starbucks

Open Monday - Friday 8:00 am to 4:15 pm
Closing Friday 12/17/21 at 12:00 pm until 1/7/2022 for Winter Break.
Reopening for the Spring Semester on 1/10/2022.