Foreign Languages & International Studies

  • Get ready to see the world — discover travel opportunities and cultural experiences you won't find in the classroom.

    Travel Opportunities
  • Explore programs that offer cross-disciplinary studies in foreign language, world politics and more.

    All programs
  • Get involved in local opportunities to learn — such as the living in the Immersion Dorms

    Conversation Activities
  • Join us for Face a Face and be immersed in the culture and language of French-speaking Europe.

    Career Planning

Our Mission

The mission of the Department of Foreign Languages and International Studies at Harding University is to equip language learners for service in both local and global communities through the development of intercultural competence and effective communication in one or more world languages. Our faculty, students, and alumni honor God through their service in missions, education, diplomacy, graduate level study and research, work with non-profit organizations, careers in the humanities, communications, business, health sciences, and more.

New Program! Major in Foreign Language and Missions

The Foreign Language and Missions degree speaks to the heart of Harding's goals since it integrates faith and a passion for Christian service with an understanding of the foreign language skills needed to accomplish His mission in the world, as well as produce the advanced foreign language proficiency needed in today's global society. The degree includes cross-disciplinary studies in foreign language and in missions and Bible. An internship is required for this degree. See the catalog for more details. To apply go to how to apply.

Outreach Opportunities

Every one of our faculty members has been involved in overseas mission work in some capacity. God is currently using us to reach people all over the world through Summer Campaigns in French-speaking Europe and in South America, as well as through the faculty and students who edit, translate or teach for various ministries. We also encourage students to participate in outreach here in the Searcy area, where opportunities abound for interaction with native speakers of other languages.

Outstanding Programs

All our majors benefit from the same language training offered by our nationally recognized teacher licensure programs, which have been awarded this status by the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) and CAEP, the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation. This recognition places us in the top tier of foreign language departments of colleges and universities across the United States.

Frequently Asked Questions

In what level should I enroll?

Placement of students with foreign language background varies according to the level of language proficiency. Normally, students with three years or more of high school study are encouraged to enroll at the intermediate level (FREN or SPAN 2010 fall, 2020 spring). Students with exceptional foreign language skills may be approved by the department chairman for enrollment in advanced courses.

When should I start taking my foreign language classes?

We strongly encourage students with previous exposure to a language to continue their study of that same language as soon as possible in order to avoid language loss. Additionally, language study during the freshman year leaves open the option to add a language major or minor later - an option that is becoming increasingly popular among students as more and more employers are looking for bilingual employees. Language study should begin in the fall semester. Due to the levels of each language that are offered at Harding, there are very few opportunities to begin language study in the spring.

What is validation credit?

Validation credit for previous language study may be obtained upon written request as follows: Students with three or more years of high school foreign language study, upon completion of the Harding University intermediate course of the same language with a grade of A or B in both semesters, first time enrolled, may receive 8 hours of credit for the elementary course.  Students with exceptional two-year programs may be approved by the department chairman for inclusion in this offer.

Can I get transfer credit for courses taken at another university?

The Foreign Language program at Harding complies with nationally recognized guidelines for content of course offerings at the 1000 and 2000 levels. Due to the wide variety of language programs across the nation, prior to the granting of equivalency for Harding courses, transfer credit for 1000 and 2000 level courses must be verified by the successful completion of the next level skills course with a C or better or by a Harding equivalency test covering the subject matter. Students with inadequate skills may be asked to repeat coursework in order to achieve adequate proficiency levels in order to continue in the program. It is to be understood that in a continuing program a certain basic knowledge is essential to performance at advanced levels. Students are encouraged to counsel with the department chair prior to enrolling for concurrent credit.

Should I take the CLEP Exams?

Harding University grants credit from CLEP foreign language examinations, depending on the score, and also grants AP credit in foreign languages. Students who are eligible for validation credit (see above) may not need to sit for CLEP or AP exams. Therefore, all students are advised to check with the department before registering for CLEP exams. Consult Harding University's current catalog for more detail, or if you have further questions, call the Registrar's office at 501-279-4057.

Are there scholarships available if I want to be a foreign language teacher?

Because there are shortages of foreign language teachers at both the national and the state levels, there are a number of grant and loan forgiveness programs available to foreign language students who are preparing to teach in K-12 settings. See the Arkansas Department of Education's list of such programs (pdf).

Contact Us

Foreign Language & International Studies is part of the College of Arts & Sciences


FAX: 501-279-4191